By Devashree Sanghvi, Thecrazyindianfoodie.
Misal. One dish that all of us Mumbaikars absolutely love! Spicy & tangy this healthy, heartwarming and delicious dish will make your taste buds feel alive!
A beautiful concoction of pulses cooked in a hot and spicy Misal masala topped with crisp farsan this easy and quick Misal Pav recipe is a MUST try at home. This is one of Mumbai’s best street foods! Here’s my quick and easy Misal Pav Recipe made in under 20 minutes :
Serves: 4-5. Pre Prep: 15 hours. Cooking Time: 20 mins.
- 150 grams moong (matki).
- 150 grams red Chawli (red black eyed beans). You can also use any other mixed bean sprouts.
- 3 tbsp oil.
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin).
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste.
- 1 tsp Rai (mustard seeds).
- 1 tsp hing (Asafoetida).
- 2 finely chopped green chillies.
- 1 large Onion (finely chopped).
- 1 large tomato (finely chopped).
- 2 tsp red chilli powder.
- 2 tsp coriander powder.
- 2 tbsp Misal Masala (I use Kapol Misal Masala).
- 1 tsp jaggery (optional).
- 1 tsp soaked and strained tamarind water (imli).
- Farsan, fresh coriander, onions and lemon juice to serve.
- Salt to taste.
How to make this quick and easy Maharashtrian style Misal Pav Recipe:
- Soak the pulses overnight with water as needed, pressure cook for 3 whistles until cooked and keep aside. Do not strain the water unless it’s in excess. We will use the same water in the Misal for the extra flavour.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, green chillies, ginger garlic paste & sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onions with a pinch of salt and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the tomato and mix well until soft.
- Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, Misal Masala + salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the boiled pulses with water in which they’re soaked as required and mix well.
- Add the jaggery + soaked tamarind water.
- Cook for 15-20 mins stirring in intervals on a medium flame.
- Top with fresh coriander. Serve hot with some onions, lemon juice and farsan (crisps) on the side. Enjoy with soft Pav!
Go make this recipe now! Full video on YouTube is here :
Thecrazyindianfoodie recommends! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Snapchat and Zomato for more.