We were recently at A World Away, Alibaug by Chef Moshe Shek with Israel tourism where we learnt how to make delicious Middle Eastern dishes at their brilliant cooking school.
Read more about our experience here. I whipped up this quick and delicious Hummous and also tried some variations like the beetroot hummous that tastes great with some pita bread.
Simple Hummous recipe.
- 100 gms dried chick peas
- 1 tsp soda bi carb
- 70 to 80gms Tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 60 to 70ml ice cold water
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas in a lot of water overnight along with ½ tsp of soda bi carb.
- Drain this off the next morning and place it into a pan, adding three times the amount of water to it along with the remaining ½ tsp of soda. Bring it to a boil and keep skimming all the foam that comes on top, till the boiling liquid is clear. Boil for about 40 mins or until the chickpeas are soft. Drain.
TCIF Tip : You can also boil the chick peas in a pressure cooker with the same amount of water as mentioned above, a pinch of soda and it should be ready in 4-5 whistles. Strain the water once cooked.
- You should have slightly more than 200 gms now.
- Place it all in a mixer jar and grind it first into a paste when slightly warm.
- Now add the remaining ingredients and continue grinding until it is smooth and creamy.
- You can adjust the tahini by adding more or less depending on your choice of flavor.
- Serve garnished with olive oil, paprika and some finely chopped parsley. A dash of pumpkin seeds adds to the beauty of the dish.
Note : Do not make the mistake of adding in olive oil while grinding the hummous but add it later only as a garnish.
Beetroot Hummous :
- Boil 2 pieces of beetroot. Crush into thick puree.
- Add boiled beetroot to the basic hummous and continue grinding till the colour changes.
- Garnish with fried chickpeas. For the fried chickpeas – Keep aside some of the chickpeas after cooking them. Toss it in wheat flour and deep fry until golden brown and crisp. Toss in salt and garnish the beetroot hummous with these golden brown chickpeas along with some extra virgin olive oil.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Zomato and Snapchat for more.