Bombay Pav Bhaji, the ultimate comfort meal, an all time favourite is really simple and easy to make at home. In fact if you store some of the main ingredients in advance, like the tomato purée or the onion paste and pre boil the potatoes, this can be made in under 10 minutes.
Here’s my simple and delicious recipe of Mumbai’s iconic Pav Bhaji.
1. 3 large onions (2 puréed and 1 finely chopped).
2. 4 tomatoes (blanched and puréed).
3. 6-7 cloves of garlic (finely chopped).
4. 1 green chilli (finely chopped).
5. 1 tbsp butter.
6. 1 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala (I prefer using Badshah Pav Bhaji Masala).
7. 1 tsp each of Garam Masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder.
8. 1 tsp sugar.
9. 4 potatoes, boiled and mashed with the skin removed.
10. Salt to taste.
11. Water as required.
12. 2-3 pav’s to serve the Bhaji with.
13. 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander.
1. In a thick bottomed pan heat the butter. Add the chopped garlic, chilli and onion purée with a pinch of salt and sauté until light golden brown.
2. Now add the tomato purée and mix well.
3. Now add all the masalas along with the Pav Bhaji Masala and Garam Masala and mix well. Let it simmer on a low flame. Add some more salt and sugar.
4. Add the mashed potatoes and mix well, incorporating it into the tomato gravy.
5. Add water as required and cover with a lid. Cook on a low flame for 4-5 minutes.
6. Now add some fresh coriander and mix well. Turn off the gas.
7. Grill the pav’s with some butter on a tava until nice and crisp. Serve warm with some fresh bhaji that’s garnished with chopped onions and more coriander.
TCIF special tip – Always on the run with no time to cook? You can blanch tomatoes, puree them and store them in the freezer for at least 20 days. You can use this purée for making sabzis, pasta sauces and more. You can do the same with the onion purée. You just need to sauté the onions in some oil before freezing it. It should stay for 4-5 days.
Hope you liked the recipe! Follow Thecrazyindianfoodie on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Zomato for more.